Everyone wants to get a good night’s sleep, but do you find yourself struggling to relax before bed? While laying in bed you could be thinking about what happened today, what you need to do tomorrow, or you may even try to pass the time on your phone. Sometimes you will toss and turn in bed and stare up at the ceiling. Below are some tips to try out to aid your sleep.
Why You Can’t Fall Asleep
Relaxing is a key factor to getting your body to fall asleep. If your body cannot relax before sleep, you should think about your daily lifestyle.
Common Reasons Why You Cannot Fall Asleep Before Bed:
- Inconsistent sleep schedule
- Too much light exposure before bed
- Too much caffeine
- Exercising too late
Making little or major lifestyle changes could help you to get a better night’s rest and help you in the long run.
How to Relax Before Bed
If you still struggle to get your body to relax before bed, here are some helpful tips.
1. Technology-Free Time Before Bed: One tip is to schedule technology-free time before bed. Many people are guilty of scrolling on their phones or watching a television show before bed. A way to fix this is by allowing yourself to not use any device that uses blue light. Some devices that use blue light are smartphones, computers, or televisions. You should try to not use any blue light device 30 minutes before bed.
2. Read a Book: Another great tip is to read before bed instead of using a device. It is good to note reading a paper book works best, but any kind of reading is good before bed.
3. Meditate: Meditating is another great way to get your body to relax. Taking five to ten minutes to close your eyes, focus on breathing, and let the stress of the day go is a great way to relax. There are many smart devices or apps that can also help with meditating or relieve stress from the day before bed.
4. Take a Hot Shower Before Bed: Another way to get your body to relax is by taking a hot shower before bed. By taking a shower, you will relax your muscles and calm your mind before bed. Showering can also make you feel comfortable and clean when getting in bed.
5. Keep Work Out of Your Bedroom: It is always good to separate work from home. If you need to bring your work home with you or work from home, you should find a space away from the bedroom. It is also important to log off, figuratively and literally, when the workday is over. This will help you to start to relax and give yourself a break from a long day.
Start Getting A Better Night’s Sleep at Jacksonville Sleep Center
Even with these tips, it is good to talk with a doctor or sleep specialist about your sleep habits. At Jacksonville Sleep Center, we offer helpful tips and sleep tests. Sleep is tied with overall health, if you do not sleep well your day-to-day activities can become harder. Besides your daily lifestyle, there could be more serious factors that are the cause of your restless nights. At Jacksonville Sleep Center, you can be seen by a sleep specialist to help get a better night’s rest. By performing a sleep study, a specialist will be able to identify what is the cause of your sleeplessness. Contact us to do a sleep study in Jacksonville, FL. Book an appointment today.